Sausage rolls - How to make sausage rolls with shortcrust or puff pastry.
Sausage rolls are a huge family favourite and can be served at practically any occasion. They come in all sizes ranging from mini or cocktail to jumbo, and can be served as a snack, party food or in a lunch or evening meal with accompaniments such as baked beans and chips.
Sausage rolls are essentially tubes of pastry stuffed with a filling of sausage meat and various flavourings and then baked in the oven.
A number of different types of pastry can be used with the most popular being shortcrust
, rough puff or flaky pastry.
Obviously, homemade sausage rolls have got to be the best, but they can also be bought from the bakery, hot or cold; fresh or frozen from the supermarket or from traditional cafeterias or restaurants as part of a menu.
Although, sausage rolls are often served at children's parties or are found on a kid's menu in a restaurant, they are also a huge favourite with parents and adults as well.
Below are our recipes for the best homemade sausage rolls - try them all and see which you prefer.
Easy sausage rolls recipe
- For the pastry
- 200g (7oz) of plain flour
- 55g (2oz) of lard
- 55g (2oz) of butter
- pinch of salt
- For the filling
- 200g (7oz) of sausage meat
- salt and pepper
- beaten egg or milk to glaze
- Make the pastry following our instructions on the shortcrust pastry page.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Roll the pastry out to a rectangle measuring approximately 30cm x 25cm (12" x 10").
- Cut the pastry in half lengthwise.
- Season the sausage meat with salt and pepper and roll out to the same length as the pastry.
- Place the sausage meat in the middle of the pastry, brush the edges with water and join the two edges at one side of the meat, pressing down to seal the pastry.
- Cut the pastry into the desired lengths; mark the tops with a fork and brush with the beaten egg or milk.
- Place onto a baking tray and into the preheated oven. Cook for 20 minutes or until the pastry has turned golden brown.
Puff pastry sausage roll recipe
- 450g (1lb) of sausage meat
- 450g (1lb) of puff pastry
- 2 tbsp of plain flour
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle of 45cm x 23cm (18" x 9"). Cut the pastry in half down the middle.
- Divide the sausage meat into two and roll each piece to the same length of the pastry.
- Place the sausage meat onto the pastry into the middle. Add water to the edges and fold the pastry over, pressing down the edges, ensuring that they seal together.
- Make cuts across the top of the roll and glaze with the beaten egg.
- Cut the roll into smaller measures and place onto a baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the pastry has turned golden brown.
Homemade sausage rolls with herbs
- Shortcrust pastry
- 6 good quality pork sausages
- 1 finely sliced red onion
- 1 sprig of fresh sage
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 handful of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and add the sliced red onion.
- Gently fry the onion for about 15 minutes until soft.
- Add the sage leaves and cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Remove the sausage meat from their skins and place into a large bowl.
- Add the sage, onion and the breadcrumbs. Mix together with your hands.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll the pastry out to a large rectangle.
- Cut into two down the middle.
- Divide the sausage mixture into two pieces and roll each piece into a tube shape the same length as the pastry.
- Place each piece of sausage meat into the centre of each piece of pastry.
- Moisten the edges of the pastry with water and roll one piece of the pastry over so it covers the sausage and meets the other edge of the pastry.
- Press the two edges together to seal.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and milk and score with a fork.
- Cut the rolls into your desired length and place onto a baking tray.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.