Black pepper recipes including black pepper chicken, peppered salmon and pepper steak.
Welcome to our black pepper recipe page.
Including Chinese-style black pepper steak, black pepper chicken, peppered salmon and pepper biscuits.
||This page is © Copyright 2001-2013 helpwithcooking.com
Chinese-Style Black Pepper Steak
This is a highly seasoned and flavoursome dish that can be prepared in minutes. Serve with rice, noodles or stir-fried vegetables.
- 1½ lb (680 g) of fillet steak
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp of dry sherry
- 1 - 2 tbsp of whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 3-inch piece of fresh root ginger
- 2 tsp of sugar
- ½ tsp of sesame oil
- First of all the meat needs to be cut into very thin slices. This is best done with a sharp knife.
- Slice the onions into thin rings.
- Peel the ginger and then grate it finely.
- Place the sliced steak and onions with the ginger into a large bowl or dish.
- In a separate small bowl mix together the dry sherry, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
- Pour this mixture over the meat and onions and mix well so that everything is coated with the marinade sauce.
- Cover the dish or bowl with cling film and place into the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Place the peppercorns into a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or something heavy. If you have a pestle and mortar, even better.
- Remove the meat dish from the fridge and stir in the crushed peppercorns.
- Heat the tbsp of sunflower oil in a large wok and once the oil is hot, add the steak and onions.
- Stir-fry until the steak is cooked to your preference.
- Remove from the wok and serve with stir-fried vegetables, rice or noodles.
Black Pepper Chicken
The chicken breast pieces are marinated in ginger, pepper and garlic, stir-fried, cooked with chillies and lemon juice and finally garnished with coriander.
- 4 - 6 chicken breasts
- 7 fl oz (200 ml) of boiling water
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 oz (30 g) of chopped coriander
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of ground white pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and set aside in a bowl.
- Mix together the garlic, ginger, black pepper, white pepper, pinch of salt and the olive oil.
- Add to the chicken pieces and mix well, making sure that each piece of chicken is coated with some of the garlic mixture.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or frying pan, add the chopped onion and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir-fry for about 10 minutes until the chicken has browned and cooked through.
- Cut the green chillies in half lengthways and add to the wok together with the boiling water.
- Make sure that the water covers the chicken. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve the chicken and sprinkle with the chopped coriander.
The salmon fillets are encrusted with black peppercorns and fried. Serve with a fresh green salad or a light sauce.
- 4 salmon fillets (6 oz / 170 g each)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- Wash the salmon under running cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Brush the salmon fillets with a little olive oil.
- Roughly crush the black peppercorns with a pestle and mortar or by placing them in a plastic bag and crushing them with a rolling pin or saucepan.
- Mix the pepper with the sea salt and brush onto the tops of the salmon fillets.
- Refrigerate and allow the flavours to infuse for about an hour.
- Heat the remainder of the olive oil in a frying pan and add the salmon fillets once the oil is hot.
- Fry on both sides for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
These peppery biscuits can seem a bit tricky to make, but they are well worth it.
- 2 oz (55 g) of caster sugar
- 1 oz (30 g) of plain flour
- 1 oz (30 g) of unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp of ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Grease a baking tray with a little of the vegetable oil.
- Melt the butter over a gentle heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg white, sugar and salt with an electric whisk.
- Stir in the flour, melted butter and the ground pepper and mix well until a smooth batter has formed.
- Take a heaped teaspoonful of the mixture and drop it onto the baking tray. Spread the out so that it forms a circle with a 4-inch diameter.
- Repeat with another teaspoonful of batter and situate alongside the first.
- Place into the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the biscuits are golden at the sides.
- Remove from the oven and lift one of the biscuits and curl over a rolling pin and then do the same with the other.
- Leave the biscuits in position until they have set but in the meantime prepare the next set of biscuits and place in the oven to bake.
- Repeat until all the mixture has been used up and all of the biscuits have set and cooled.