Shrimp salad (prawn salad) - One traditional and one spicy recipe.
Shrimp salad is a very popular recipe, especially in areas where fresh seafood is abundant. It contains plenty of juicy shrimp, fresh raw vegetables, a generous amount of spicy flavours and is delicious and cooling on a hot summer's day.
There are numerous variations of the traditional shrimp salad recipe. Some are plain and simple, yet no less appetising than the more elaborate, whilst others are overflowing with flavours, tastes and textures, making each mouthful a concoction of exotic and intriguing ingredients.
Shrimp salad can be served as a starter, in a sandwich or croissant or as a light lunch, served with hot fresh crusty bread.
Below are two recipes for shrimp salad, one simple recipe and one more exotic recipe.
Shrimp (prawn) salad
- 1lb (450 g) of cooked, peeled and deveined medium shrimp (prawns)
- 1/3 of a cup of chopped celery
- 1/3 of a cup of mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp of Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and the Old Bay seasoning until thoroughly blended.
- Add the chopped celery and combine.
- Add the cooked shrimp and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill.
- Remove from the refrigerator and stir well before serving.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or in a roll, croissant or baguette.
Spicy shrimp (prawn) salad with mango sauce
- 1lb (450 g) of uncooked tiger shrimp (prawns)
- 1 mango
- 1½ cups of pineapple chunks
- 1 cup of chopped tomato
- 1 thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tsp of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp of hot sauce
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of chicken stock
- mixed lettuce leaves
- Peel the mango and cut into small chunks. Place the chunks into a blender with the lemon or lime juice and blend until a puree is formed. Set aside to cool in the refrigerator.
- Cook the shrimp, chicken stock, hot sauce and chilli powder in a large saucepan until the shrimp are cooked and turn pink. Mix the ingredients well during cooking.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the pineapple chunks, chopped onion and chopped tomato. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour or until needed.
- Spoon the shrimp mixture onto a bed of lettuce and drizzle with the chilled mango sauce.